General education, vocational education, higher education

Expand all questions

If the close contact with a person infected with COVID-19 took place in a kindergarten or child care, educational institution (including the dormitory of an educational institution), institution of informal education or youth work and the child or adolescent up to 18 years of age or turning 19 in the course of the 2021/2022 academic year is not symptomatic, he does not have to remain in self-isolation and may continue his regular life.

General education schools and vocational schools continue with the rapid testing twice a week in order to monitor the spread of the coronavirus. If a test result is positive or symptoms occur, the student has to stay home.

The exception only applies if the close contact with a person infected with the coronavirus took place at an educational institution. If the child or adolescent came in contact with the COVID-19 positive person anywhere else (e.g. within his family), he has to stay in self-isolation according to the rules in force.

Last updated: 06.02.2022 23:19

Did this response answer your question?

An employee who has fallen ill must inform the leadership of the institution. A student who has fallen ill must turn to a teacher or a school nurse who will inform the leadership of the institution of the child's condition. The student's parents are informed of the student having fallen ill.

Depending on the age of the child, the he is either sent home or is isolated from others in a room suitable for this under the supervision of a teacher/school nurse until a parent arrives. The person who has fallen ill and the adult who is dealing with him are given a surgical mask. If the ill person's health condition becomes dangerous (quickly rising fever, pain in the chest, shortness of breath, acute pain of a different kind etc.) and he is feeling extremely poorly, 112 must be called.

In order to better contain the spread of COVID-19, it is important that the person who has fallen ill (in the case of a student his parent or other legal representative) informs the educational institution if a COVID-19 infection is confirmed. The institution will inform members of that class or group (and parents). The notification has to be done with a sense of delicacy, without revealing the name or other identifying data of the person who has been infected. The regional department of the Health Board will contact the educational institution and inform of the confirmed diagnosis, after which the school will establish the close contacts and notify the parents.

Last updated: 30.10.2021 15:49

Did this response answer your question?

To be able to start the school year as safely as possible, it is important to keep in mind the measures necessary for stopping the spread of the virus when organising these ceremonies and other events.

A school can, for instance, limit the number of participants. If possible, we recommend organising events outdoors.

All symptomatic people must stay at home.

We would like to remind you that a school cannot demand that a parent present a COVID certificate or a negative test result in order to participate at events. A school can suggest that it is preferable that participants who come to the event are vaccinated or tested in order to reduce the probability of spreading the virus.

At ceremonies taking place indoors, we recommend observing that the occupancy of the room does not exceed 50% in order to ensure dispersion. If it is not possible for the participants to keep a distance, we recommend wearing a mask.

It is important to ensure that the rooms are well ventilated or aired out if necessary. In order to reduce the number of participants, a video broadcast of the event might be an option.

Last updated: 08.09.2021 18:44

Did this response answer your question?

Educational institutions are very strongly recommended to organise their learning and other activities in ways that reduce contacts between people. It is important to keep in mind that reducing contacts should also be a priority for educational workers and other staff.

For instance, in order to disperse students, a system where classrooms are designated to classes rather than teachers can be used, holding more classes outdoors or doing partial distance learning (e.g. by days, in some subjects) etc.

We also recommend that lunch recesses, PE classes and similar are organised in a way that would reduce contacts between groups.

The school day could start at different times in order to reduce physical contacts between students, and different classes could have recesses at different times with some made longer so that younger students can go outside. Institutions that work in multiple buildings should consider how to reduce movement of students between buildings.

If the risk of the virus increases and it becomes necessary to disperse students even more, we recommend that older grades move over to the full distance learning. Younger grades that continue contact learning can then be dispersed more within the building. It is recommended that contact learning is continued for as long as possible in younger stages of study, students who need support and students in final grades.

Last updated: 25.01.2021 11:22

Did this response answer your question?

It is not compulsory to wear a mask in educational institutions but we still recommended that teachers and students wear a mask, especially in commonly used spaces.

The acquisition of the necessary personal protective equipment is organised by the school in cooperation with the school administrator. The provision of personal protective equipment to youth centres is ensured by the local government, depending on the needs of the youth centres, young people, and the employees at the centre.

Last updated: 22.10.2021 12:49

Did this response answer your question?

If symptoms of an acute upper respiratory virus (cough, runny nose, throat ache, general poorly feeling, unusual tiredness) occur, a person must stay at home immediately and contact a family health center or the family doctor advice line 1220 at the first chance to get further instructions.

It is allowed to go to school with a slight cold or cough if the student has recovered from some seasonal infection, his general condition is good but a slight leftover cold or coughing persist. If it is not clear whether the condition is infectious or non-infectious, a family health center needs to be consulted.

Last updated: 30.10.2020 17:17

Did this response answer your question?

Chronic diseases like asthma or allergies can cause a runny nose or a cough but generally don't necessitate staying home. As a rule, these kinds of chronic diseases are previously known and, if necessary, a parent can issue a statement confirming that the child's symptoms are not infectious. A medical certificate is not issued for a presentation of a chronic disease.

The sense of responsibility of all persons is of utmost importance and this includes guaranteeing that a child or an adult with a chronic disease is not discriminated because of their disease.

Last updated: 30.10.2020 17:17

Did this response answer your question?

If you have any questions in the field of education, please contact:

  • the Ministry of Education and Research, information tel No. 5690 0353 and 5690 0340.

  • e-mail:

For an overview of the rules and guidelines sent to institutions under the Ministry of Education and Research, please see the website

Educational advisers at Rajaleidja programme of the Education and Youth Board provide advice to schools, support specialists, and parents on how to support children in the current rapidly changing situation, whether it is a matter of teaching or mental health:

  • by phone 7350750 (weekdays from 12.00 to 16.00)
  • by e-mail

Last updated: 15.12.2020 13:29

Did this response answer your question?

Doing distance learning due to the parent's wish can happen only upon agreement with the school, provided that the school can manage it.

Last updated: 21.06.2021 14:44

Did this response answer your question?

More information about the coronavirus and restrictions related to it is available calling 1247 (from abroad +372 600 1247).