Restrictions in education, youth work, hobby and sports activities

Expand all questions

The same rules apply to activities taking place both indoors and outdoors.

In sports, training, youth work, hobby activities and informal education, and refresher training; at sports competitions and sports and exercise events; in saunas, spas, water parks and swimming pools; at public meetings and events (including in the theatre, at the cinema, at a concert, incl. a church concert, at a conference); in museums and exhibition facilities; at entertainment services all participants, regardless of the number of people, who are older than 18 years of age must present a COVID certificate proving vaccination, recovery or a negative result of a prior test. Infection risk status must also be proven if the activity or event takes place at a location where services are provided, i.e. when a catering establishment is rented out or a theatre performance is performed on order at a theatre.

COVID certificates do not need to be checked at unrestricted outdoor events (for instance, events that take place in one neighbourhood of a town, where people are in constant movement and it is not possible to determine an activity with a certain location and number of participants).

The organisers have an obligation to check the validity of the COVID certificates. If there is a substantiated doubt, the person must be asked to present an identity document.

Indoors, in addition to checking the COVID certificates and tests, it is important to ensure that people are dispersed and disinfection requirements are followed, and other measures aiming to stop the spread of the coronavirus are followed according to the instructions of the Health Board (in Estonian).

If the person responsible for the activities is checking the infection risk status of persons, up tp 6000 persons may participate in the events and activities indoors and 12000 persons outdoors, provided that the abovementioned order is followed.

Last updated: 26.08.2021 12:35

Did this response answer your question?

Dispersion is not the 2+2 rule but guidance to keep a safe distance with each other. Ensuring dispersion means that it must be ensured that groups of persons or individuals are not too close to each other and in direct contact.

Last updated: 30.08.2021 19:49

Did this response answer your question?

The following needs to be considered:

Rapid tests that are valid for 48 hours:

  • antigen rapid tests that are used have been approved in the EU and meant for professional use
  • are done by a health care service provider, generally in their own medical centres, special testing locations (e.g. Confido's 17 locations across Estonia, Corrigo in Ida-Virumaa) or the user himself at a holder of an activity licence for general pharmacy services according to the instructions of the Health Board
  • the test results are entered into the health information system
  • a person gets a certificate to prove a negative result
  • a person pays for the service herself

Rapid tests that are valid only for the specific event, for providing a service on the spot

  • antigen rapid tests that are used have been approved in the EU
  • the tests are done by the visitor herself, on the spot, upon arriving to an event or to consume the service
  • doing the test is guided by a vaccinated person responsible for the activity; there is also a possibility to hire a health care service provider
  • an operator may charge for the service

If the test result is positive or unclear, the person must stay in isolation and contact their family doctor to confirm the diagnosis with a PCR test.

More information in the Health Board's instructions for administering rapid tests. (in Estonian).

Last updated: 27.08.2021 12:58

Did this response answer your question?

  • If a person cannot get vaccinated due to medical reasons i.e. she has a contraindication to vaccination (e.g. she has anaphylaxis or a strong allergic reaction to some ingredient of the vaccine, has had capillary leak syndrome in the past etc.), it is possible for her to use a certificate of negative test result in order to participate in activities. Contraindication to COVID-19 vaccination is documented by a family doctor or a treating specialist with the international disease classification (RHK-10) code intended for that and that is the basis for free testing at a health care service provider with a referral from a family doctor or the Family Doctor's Advice (1220 or +372 634 6630). If testing is organised in some other way than at a health care service provider, it is a paid service.

  • If a person can get neither vaccinated nor tested due to medical reasons, a family doctor or a treating specialist can issue a certificate based on which she can participate in activities. It has to be taken into account that the certificate is valid nationally, and in other countries the restrictions and requirements in force there should be adhered to. If a person travelling has a very rare (and medically proven) combined contraindication to both testing and vaccination, she has to stay in a 10 day self-isolation after arriving from a risk country. It is very strongly recommended that they also use personal protective equipment, e.g. an FFP2 or FFP3 respirator, when participating in activities.

  • If a person cannot get tested due to medical reasons (e.g. he has a specific facial trauma), it is possible to get vaccinated and participate in activities with a COVID immunisation certificate (either the paper based immunisation passport or a digital certificate).

Last updated: 20.09.2021 12:29

Did this response answer your question?

the service?

The exceptions to disabled persons apply in sports, training, hobby activities and informal education, and refresher training. They also apply to participating in sports competitions and events.

If, for instance, the person responsible for the activity is training disabled persons, he can choose whether he checks the certificates of all individuals (including disabled persons) and then the participants are released from the obligation to wear a mask.

The other option is to not check the certificates of only those who belong in the group of disabled persons and then there is an obligation to wear a mask, even if five people out of ten have the certificate. In any case, the choice of approach should be made before the service is provided.

The obligation to wear a mask or cover one's mouth and nose does not extend to children under the age of 12 and to persons for whom it is not possible to wear a mask for health reasons (e.g. breathing difficulties, certain mental disorders, allergies) or reasonable for other substantial considerations, e.g. special needs or disability. The person should still consider whether health reasons rule out all options of covering one's nose and mouth or whether it would still be possible to reduce the infection risk with some suitable alternative (e.g. wear a face shield).

A mask does not have to be worn by people with special needs, e.g. if it is not possible for the person to wear a mask as required or put a mask on and take it off by himself due to a mental disorder or a physical aberration. A mask does not have to be worn by a person accompanying a hard-of-hearing person or an individual who is communicating with a person who needs to read from lips, read facial expressions, needs to hear clear speech etc. to communicate if wearing a mask complicates that.

If there are no above described health complaints related to the disability, a mask should also be worn in order to participate in the activity.

Last updated: 30.08.2021 20:37

Did this response answer your question?

The activities of all law enforcement bodies can be challenged or contested in court. In case of questions or a need to specify, both an entrepreneur and a private person always have the option of pre-emptively turning to the phone line 1247 or writing to

Last updated: 30.08.2021 19:58

Did this response answer your question?

More information about the coronavirus and restrictions related to it is available calling 1247 (from abroad +372 600 1247).