Welfare, benefits, victim and child protection

Expand all questions

In order ot mitigate the rise in energy prices, the state has developed the following measures: compensation of electricity network fees and gas network fees to all consumers, and partial payment of electricity, gas and heating bills to households of up to average income.

Information on the compensation of energy costs can be found on the web page of the Ministry of Finance (in Estonian), that lists the conditions for applying, the relevant contacts at local governments, as well as answers to frequently asked questions (including separate instructions to apartment associations). Those who wish cana lso check from the compensation calculator whether it is possible for their family to get the compensation and in how large a sum.

Last updated: 12.01.2022 13:31

Did this response answer your question?

The care home must ensure that infected and non-infected residents would not come into contact with each other. In order to do this, the residents with the coronavirus diagnosis and symptoms must be separated from other residents. If there are infected people in the care home, the movement of residents between rooms and different sections is not allowed. The residents must be informed of the restrictions, and if necessary, the information must be repeated.

Healthy residents of the care home need to be able to go outside. It is certainly not right to lock people up indoors but the care home residents need to be explained in a manner comprehensible for them, why they cannot move around without restrictions during the quarantine, and if needed, the information must be repeated.

Last updated: 16.03.2021 12:53

Did this response answer your question?

  • Be kind to yourself and to others around you! Take into account that adapting to a new situation can be stressful for everyone.
  • Develop a daily routine: get enough sleep, maintain a healthy lifestyle, establish fixed working and rest times.
  • Be there for the others! Call every day to a few friends or family members, check how they are doing.
  • If you are concerned about your mental health, talk to someone you trust.
  • If you are taking any medication to support your mental health, do not stop taking it.
  • Child support telephone: 116 111 and www.lasteabi.ee offers support to children and adolescents.
  • Psychological first aid can be reached at the national crisis hotline 1247. In order to provide assistance, the specialists of the Social Insurance Board victim support crisis hotline 116 006 have been involved.

Over the phone you get advice on how to maintain the mental health of yourself and others during the crisis. People are welcome to call if they are concerned about their loved ones and want to discuss how to provide them with better emotional support. Everybody is welcome to call, including people fighting the virus on the frontline, doctors, nurses, policemen, rescuers, teachers, etc., to support their ability to continue their work and prevent the burnout. You can call and speak in Estonian, Russian or English 24/7. People who prefer not to call can be advised over internet at https://www.palunabi.ee/.

Spiritual guidance is available from the spiritual guidance phoneline 116 123. Everyone is welcome to call, regardless of religion and worldview, to receive support to alleviate the psychological crisis caused by diseases, accidents or living situations and to create a sense of security.

  • The website https://peaasi.ee offers web-based mental health counselling.
  • Contact your family doctor who can refer you to a specialist.
  • If necessary, contact your psychologist or psychiatrist.

Last updated: 12.10.2020 10:02

Did this response answer your question?

Yes, applications can be submitted by e-mail or as a letter to the local government. The social worker can be consulted by telephone. Exceptionally, the necessary documents may also be submitted retrospectively.

Last updated: 17.02.2021 11:58

Did this response answer your question?

  • Ask your family, friends, or neighbours for help.
  • A person who is alone is assisted by the local municipality that helps to organise the delivery of food and medicines to those in need (see an overview of possible social services: eesti.ee).
  • Volunteers working in different environments (see e.g. Helpific.com) as well as some community associations can assist the elderly and those in risk groups can be assisted in getting food and medicines, and in other daily activities.

Last updated: 13.10.2021 14:03

Did this response answer your question?

First contact should be the local government who helps to organize the delivery of food and medicines to everybody in need of assistance. You can find the contact information of the local governments from the web pages of the rural municipality and city governments.

Additionally, there are volunteers who offer help with delivering food and medicines. For instance, you can find the support environment Helpific online at www.helpific.com. The volunteers of Helpific's web-based support environment offer help to the elderly and high-risk people who need assistance to get food and medicines to their homes. The volunteers also offer to help with daily tasks, household work, getting to the doctor and rehab etc.

If you need help then:

  • call the Helpific support line at 5660 4642 and notify of your wish for help. If you wish to have food delivered to your home, put together a list of products you need and give it to the help line along with your contact information, or
  • enter the Helpific support environment at Helpific.com, fill out your profile and write down your wish for help.

Last updated: 04.03.2021 13:20

Did this response answer your question?

If anybody in the nursing care home develops coronavirus-like symptoms, they will be isolated immediately and tested. The family members of the infected person will be notified.

Anyone who has been in contact with the infected person will be also isolated for 14 days and their health will be closely monitored. If an employee, who did not use the personal protective equipment came into contact with the infected person, they will be sent home.

Essentially, the care home will be divided into two parts:

  • In one part there are people with coronavirus symptoms or positive test results.
  • In the other part, there are people without the symptoms or negative test results. The employees cannot move from one part of the house to another, nobody who is on the “healthy” side can visit the residents on the other side, who are in isolation.

If possible, every patient will have a room with a radio and the TV for the duration of the isolation. If they have a mild case of the disease, they may remain at the nursing care home even if they have tested positive for the coronavirus. Their health status will be continuously monitored, and if the condition should deteriorate, the ambulance will be called.

The room of the person with suspected infection will be disinfected. All the employees will use face masks, protective gowns, and gloves.

Will the home service provision continue? Yes, the local authorities will continue with the provision of home services for the people who need these services also during the current emergency situation. Home services will help people with their daily tasks and handling of various activities.

Last updated: 17.02.2021 12:06

Did this response answer your question?

Yes, the work of victim support and the work of Women´s support centres will continue also during the emergency situation for people who have become victims of a crime, suffer from negligence or maltreatment, or physical, mental, or sexual abuse. Due to the emergency situation the social isolation and insufficient contacts with family and friends test the relationships and there is a danger for increased domestic violence.

  • Victim support staff of the Social Insurance Board can be contacted by telephone, Skype video calls and e-mails. Contacts can be found on the Social Security Insurance Board website.
  • Both people in need of the assistance and the assistance providers can call 24/7 the victim support crisis hotline 116006. The service is free of charge to the caller and the help is provided any time of the day. The caller may remain anonymous if they wish to do so. The service is provided in Estonian, Russian, and English. Victim support crisis hotline also provides support for all the specialists needing advice on psychosocial crisis assistance.
  • Women's support centres are located in all counties and continue to assist victims of violence also during the emergency situation. Women's support centres monitor the requirements of the Health Board in their work and are also ready to provide consultations by telephone. Contact information for Women's support centres can be found on the Social Insurance Board website and by calling victim support crisis hotline 116 006.

Last updated: 17.02.2021 12:18

Did this response answer your question?

For all the questions and concerns regarding children it is possible to call the Child Helpline 116 111 or contact www.lasteabi.ee.

If your family or child needs assistance or support services, contact the child protection worker of the local government; their contacts can be found on the website of your city or rural municipality or via general information hotline. Regardless of the emergency situation, child protection activities, and services for children and families will continue.

Child protection workers can help the family if:

  • the child refuses to study or cooperate with parents,
  • the child is worried or depressed and the parent is unable to help,
  • family relations have become complicated,
  • child has a difficult relationship with the school,
  • parents need support with parenting skills,
  • the child has special needs,
  • the family needs financial support,
  • the family needs some other kind of support or assistance.

During the emergency situation, a child protection worker can still make home visits, if this is essential for ensuring the well-being of the child.

Last updated: 17.02.2021 12:27

Did this response answer your question?

As this is not a public event, nor is it an activity that goes under hobby education, the activities of self-help groups have not been regulated. Still, we recommend taking precautions: wearing a mask indoors, following the 2+2 rule, making disinfectants available and following the disinfection requirements.

Last updated: 25.02.2021 13:31

Did this response answer your question?

More information about the coronavirus and restrictions related to it is available calling 1247 (from abroad +372 600 1247).