Cargo shipments

Expand all questions

International carriage of goods is permitted, including unlicensed carriage.

Commercial carriage of goods must be accompanied by the following documents per vehicle:

  • a certified copy of the Community authorisation granted to the carrier of an EU or EEA Member State (exemptions for international carriage are provided for in Road Transportation Act Art 6(1) – for example, carriage in the EU at own expense);
  • a consignment accompanying document (CMR or so-called “loading list”);
  • a transport authorisation or CEMT licence under an international agreement, if goods are transported to a third country from Estonia, or from a third country to Estonia by a carrier from Austria, Bulgaria, Spain, Croatia, Cyprus, Luxembourg, Norway, Poland, Sweden, Germany, Finland, Hungary, Germany;
  • need to certify when entering with an unladen vehicle the grounds and destination of the carriage (e.g. a transport haulage order).

In the case of own-expense carriage of goods the driver must be in possession of documentation which proves that this cargo is owned by the operator organising the carriage of goods, or the company has purchased, sold, repaired, mined, or processed the goods. This carriage of goods needs to follow also other requirements laid down in Article 1(5)(d) of Regulation (EC) No 1072/2009 of the EU, but in the emergency situation the verification of these requirements would constitute too much of a burden.

Persons directly involved in the carriage of goods are exempt from movement restriction.

Last updated: 28.03.2020 08:33

Did this response answer your question?

He can return abroad immediately, as the 14-day restriction on movement does not apply to transporters of goods or raw materials, and persons involved with international haulage of goods and passengers. If the driver is symptomatic, he must remain in isolation at home for 14 days and contact his family doctor.

More information from the order of the person in charge of the emergency situation:

Last updated: 16.04.2020 21:33

Did this response answer your question?

People who have health insurance in Estonia and are currently in the European Union, the European Economic Area or Switzerland will be given necessary medical care on equal terms with people living in those countries. Necessary medical care is guaranteed in the case of the coronavirus as well. The need for treatment must be medically justified and this decision is made by a doctor. In order to get necessary medical aid, a person has to carry a European Health Insurance Card or a replacement certificate of the card. If a person does not have the card with him or he has not applied for the European Health Insurance Card or its replacement certificate before the trip, we ask that he apply for a replacement certificate of the European Health Insurance Card immediately upon arriving at the hospital or a doctor. You can find more information at the web page of the Estonian Health Insurance Fund

Last updated: 03.04.2020 16:13

Did this response answer your question?

Yes, goods may also be imported into the European Union using the copy of the certificate as a temporary crisis measure.

How to forward a copy depends if the third country outside the EU has access to EU TRACES system.

  • If they have access, the copy can be forwarded using TRACES.
  • If they do not have access, the copy has to be e-mailed from the e-mail address of the competent authority of the third country directly to the e-mail address of the border inspection point. This list of acceptable border crossing points is on the website of the European Commission DG Sante, and they are classified as follows:

The European Commission has informed the EU external trade partners and embassies of this possibility, and the similar arrangements have been requested from the third countries because many EU exporters have had problems with submitting the original certificates.

Last updated: 13.04.2020 23:07

Did this response answer your question?

More information about the coronavirus and restrictions related to it is available calling 1247 (from abroad +372 600 1247).