Cargo shipments

Expand all questions

International carriage of goods is permitted, including unlicensed carriage.

The vehicle carrying out commercial carriage of goods must contain the following documents pertaining to the given vehicle:

  • a certified copy of the Community authorisation granted to the carrier of an EU or EEA Member State (exemptions for international carriage are provided for in Road Transportation Act Art 6(1) – for example, carriage in the EU at own expense);
  • a consignment accompanying document (CMR or so-called “loading list”);
  • a transport permit or CEMT licence under an international agreement, if goods are transported to a third country from Estonia, or from a third country to Estonia by a carrier from Austria, Bulgaria, Spain, Croatia, Cyprus, Luxembourg, Norway, Poland, Sweden, Germany, Finland, Hungary;

Additionally, upon entering Estonia with an empty vehicle, the basis and location of the load that is being fetched need to be proven (e.g. a transport order).

If the carriage of goods is taking place at own expense, the driver needs to be accompanied by documentation for the load which proves that this cargo is owned by the operator organising the carriage of goods at its own expense, or that this company has purchased, sold, repaired, mined, or processed the goods.

This carriage of goods at own expense needs to also follow other requirements laid down in Article 1(5)(d) of Regulation (EC) No 1072/2009 of the EU, but in the emergency situation the verification of these requirements would constitute too much of a burden.

Persons directly involved in the carriage of goods are exempt from movement restriction.

Last updated: 18.10.2021 15:36

Did this response answer your question?

People who have health insurance in Estonia and are currently in the European Union, the European Economic Area or Switzerland will be given necessary medical care on equal terms with people living in those countries. Necessary medical care is guaranteed in the case of the coronavirus as well. The need for treatment must be medically justified and this decision is made by a doctor. In order to get necessary medical aid, a person has to carry a European Health Insurance Card or a replacement certificate of the card. If a person does not have the card with him or he has not applied for the European Health Insurance Card or its replacement certificate before the trip, we ask that he apply for a replacement certificate of the European Health Insurance Card immediately upon arriving at the hospital or a doctor. You can find more information at the web page of the Estonian Health Insurance Fund

Last updated: 03.04.2020 16:13

Did this response answer your question?

More information about the coronavirus and restrictions related to it is available calling 1247 (from abroad +372 600 1247).