Travelling abroad from Estonia

Expand all questions

A valid vaccination certificate is not a basis for travelling abroad but, depending on the requirements of the destination country, may offer an exemption from certain restrictions that the country has enacted (e.g. self-isolation).

The requirements of the destination country for entering, the conditions for the self-isolation obligation, and restrictions in force on the spot need to be taken into account when travelling. Information on the conditions for entry into other countries can be found on the Reisi Targalt website (in Estonian).

Last updated: 27.09.2021 19:09

Did this response answer your question?

The most precise information can be found here:

Last updated: 21.04.2021 11:30

Did this response answer your question?

Pilots fall under an exception in force, according to which they are not subject to the obligations to self-isolate and test if they are directly involved with international freight or passenger transport and are arriving in Estonia to perform professional duties.

Last updated: 05.04.2021 19:59

Did this response answer your question?

No, you are not. Testing with a family doctor's referral is aimed only at symptomatic persons. It is necessary for the quick identification and isolating of infected persons, in order to limit further spread of the virus. Doing a test with a family doctor's referral or as a close contact is free for an individual and the costs of the test are covered by the state.

A paid test necessary for travelling can be done at a service provider convenient for you. More information about the service providers can be found here:

It is possible to check on the border whether the passenger has paid for the test himself or used a family doctor's referral. An order number is automatically displayed on the certificate necessary for travelling.

If a person has done a corona test on the seventh day of being a close contact and the results are negative, she can use this test for travelling as well.

Similarly, if a person has returned from a foreign country and done two corona tests to shorten the period of self-isolation, the last test can be used for going back (i.e. as a pre-trip negative test).

Last updated: 10.01.2022 03:56

Did this response answer your question?

Maritime traffic continues, but you should always check with the shipping line if this specific route is operational.

Last updated: 07.07.2021 10:01

Did this response answer your question?

The conditions for entering Russia can be seen on the Reisi Targalt (Smart Travel) web page: (in Estonian)

Further information on crossing the Russian border is available from the information lines of the Russian Ministry of Foreign Affairs +7(495) 587 8860, +7(499) 244 1977, +7 (499) 244 1988 and +7(499) 244 2847.

  • We recommend consulting with the Russian embassy if there are any questions about the objectives for travelling with exceptions and repeated border crossings (visiting close relatives who live abroad, sports competitions, cultural events etc.) or possible restrictions set to leaving the country.

Last updated: 19.10.2021 12:05

Did this response answer your question?

Information about entry conditions to other countries can be found on the Reisi Targalt website (in Estonian).

When travelling, it is recommended to adhere to the following principles:

  • before planning a trip, check the information about the infection rate of the country of destination on the website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs;
  • you can find out about travel restrictions in the destination country from the Reisi Targalt website (in Estonian), the European Union ReOpen portal, and in more detail from a foreign representation of the destination country;
  • register your trip on the Ministry of Foreign Affairs Reisi Targalt website, so we could inform you about possible crises;
  • follow the recommendations of the Health Board for a safe flight, if you get symptoms, postpone your trip and contact your family doctor;
  • purchase travel insurance and familiarise yourself with all the conditions (including for any travel disruptions caused by COVID-19);
  • when crossing the border, it is obligatory to fill out a declaration which can also be done electronically. The declaration can be filled out 24 hours before arrival in Estonia: Please hold on to the notification letter that you receive on your e-mail after you have filled out the form! The declarations can still also be filled out on paper, which you can find here (.docx in Estonian).
  • follow the instructions of local authorities in the country of stay and find out about possible new restrictions.
  • follow the rules in force in Estonia when returning from your trip, contact your family doctor in case of suspicion of the virus.
  • Any country may change the conditions for entry and stay in the country with a very short notice. For more detailed information on the conditions of the country of destination, we recommend contacting the foreign representation or authorities of the relevant country.

More information on the coronavirus and movement restrictions from the state information line 1247 (+372 600 1247 when calling from abroad).

Last updated: 10.05.2021 13:10

Did this response answer your question?

If you are going on holiday, you should take your European Health Insurance Card with you, as it is important if you have a health problem abroad. People from Estonia who have the European Health Insurance Card can get the medical help they need in the European Union and also in Liechtenstein, Norway, Iceland and Switzerland on the same terms as insured people who live in those countries.

The card can be ordered digitally from the state portal and is free of charge.

To get medical treatment, you should present your European Health Insurance Card or a replacement certificate for it and an identity document at a medical institution. The card only entitles you to medical assistance at public healthcare institutions.

NB! Please note that the European Health Insurance Card does not necessarily cover all the costs of the medical care you need. You must pay yourself for visitation fees, bed fees, co-payments for medicines, translation costs, etc at the prices of the country you are in. The card does not cover the cost of international transport or the costs of a private doctor. We recommend that when you travel you should sign a travel insurance contract with an insurance company to cover your costs, depending on the insurance conditions.

For more information see:

Last updated: 06.08.2020 12:50

Did this response answer your question?

Information on travelling to Latvia and restrictions in Latvia can be found on the Reisi Targalt (Smart Travel) web page: (in Estonian).

Last updated: 19.10.2021 11:59

Did this response answer your question?

Information about entry into the country, transit and testing on the border can be found here: (in Estonian).

Last updated: 19.10.2021 11:55

Did this response answer your question?

More information about the coronavirus and restrictions related to it is available calling 1247 (from abroad +372 600 1247).