Unemployment Insurance Fund services, support, benefits

Expand all questions

If you wish to register as unemployed and apply for an unemployment insurance allowance or for an unemployment benefit, we recommend submitting your application using our online services https://www.tootukassa.ee/. Applications will be accepted via e-mail (digitally signed), regular post, or telephone, and in the offices.

Applications for work ability assessment and work capability allowance can also be submitted at the website, e-mail (digitally signed), regular post, or in the offices of the Estonian Unemployment Insurance Fund. If necessary, the Unemployment Insurance Fund will forward the application documentation by post.

Please note! If you submit your application by e-mail, sign it digitally.

For further information:

  • call the information number 669 6513 or 15501,
  • check the website http://www.tootukassa.ee, or
  • send an e-mail to info@tootukassa.ee

Last updated: 30.06.2020 08:51

Did this response answer your question?

If the work of a person working under a contract for services has stopped (the contract has not been terminated but there is no income), we recommend that he apply for a subsistence benefit from the local municipality.

However, if this person's contract for services has been terminated, this person has the right to apply for an unemployment benefit and an unemployment insurance benefit from the Estonian Unemployment Insurance Fund if he has

  1. worked at least 12 months out of the last 36 months
  2. with a contract under the law of obligations and
  3. lost his job now.

Last updated: 15.04.2020 11:26

Did this response answer your question?

Indeed, the unemployment benefit is only available for persons:

  • Who have worked for at least 12 months over the last 36 month period.
  • Who have been employed under the Law of Obligations Act.
  • Who have currently lost their job.

A contract under the Law of Obligations Act may be, for example, and authorisation agreement or contract for services agreement.

The Estonian Unemployment Insurance Fund does not compensate the employer for the remuneration of a person working under Law of Obligations Act.

If a person working under a Law of Obligations Act contract no longer has a job, they can:

  1. Register themselves as unemployed.
  2. Apply for unemployment insurance allowance or unemployment benefit

NB! Provisions should be made for situations when the work carried out under an authorisation agreement or under a contract for services agreement, corresponds to the characteristics of work performed under an employment contract. In this case, it may be possible, in agreement with the employer, to convert this kind of contract into an employment contract. Once an agreement has been reached, the employer and the employee must sign the employment contract in accordance with the provisions of the Employment Contracts Act and make appropriate changes to the Employment Register. The actual starting time of the employment relationship must be taken into account when converting the contract. Of course, in this case the taxes on labour have to be considered.

Last updated: 16.04.2020 17:06

Did this response answer your question?

If your family needs help, contact your local social welfare office.

Last updated: 29.03.2020 20:25

Did this response answer your question?

More information about the coronavirus and restrictions related to it is available calling 1247 (from abroad +372 600 1247).